Caborca, SonoraThe Pearl of the Sonoran Desert
The city of Heroica Caborca is located in the northwest region of Sonora. It was originally established in 1692 by Jesuit priest Eusebio Francisco Kino, who named it La Purisima Concepción de Nuestra Senora de Caborca.
The word “Caborca” has been attributed to at least two possible sources – the Papago word “kavort,” or “at the foot of the hill,” and from the Pima word “Cabota,” which means “little open mouth.”
Also known as the “Pearl of the Sonoran Desert,” the pueblo is located in a desert environment that is brutally hot during the summer months but very temperate and dry the rest of the year.
Caborca’s economic activity is mainly derived from agricultural sources. In addition to producing some of the finest beef in Sonora, its main crops are grapes and asparagus, in addition to some cotton and wheat. In recent years, local authorities and businesses have worked to promote Caborca’s potential as a tourist destination, in order to diversify and strengthen the local economy.
Local attractions include “Pueblo Viejo,” the site of a centuries-old mission church, the Petroglyphs, rock etchings made more than two thousand years ago by ancient inhabitants of the area, and the coastal area along the Sea of Cortez that is part of the municipio (county) of Caborca, to include the fishing villages of Desemboque and Puerto Lobos.